Friday, August 26, 2005

Lazy recommendation

No detailed reviews on this blog, no sir.
What’s the deal with manga? No idea. Over the last few years the amount of manga being published has exploded and frankly it baffles me. See, back when there were less I could look at what was available and make what I hoped were decent choices, now I just haven’t got a clue, the tidle wave of titles just makes it too hard to look at the stuff, which is a real shame. Anyway I spotted something on the new title shelf in Travelling Man on my monthly trip to a big city and decided to give it a go. Sexy Voice and Robo by Iou Kuroda is a very nice book, storywise it’s fun and interesting but the artwork is what really caught my eye, its’ a very european type of manga with thick lush brushwork putting me in mind of the stunning work of Blutch and Edmond Baudoin, or US artists like Brian Lee O’Malley and Craig Thompson. Looks like Iou Kuroda is a name to add to Rumiko Takahashi, Hideshi Hino, Taiyo Matsumoto, Junko Mizuno and Junji Ito as part of my list of creators to look out for.

4 comments:

Katy said...

This has nothing to do with your post, but have you watched 'Waiting for Guffman' yet? I await your review with baited breath.

And hello.

paulhd said...

Why yes, yes I have, and very well recieved it was too thanks. And welcome back.

Nimiwey said...

If you mean mango, you spelled it wrong.

paulhd said...

Nah, I never read Mango.