Friday, September 30, 2005

Work

Coming home for lunch from work today I have the distinct pleasure of not having to go back for the rest of the day. How did I manage to wangle this half day treat? Simple, I went in on my day off for half a day. Back before I entered the haloed halls of management I could never understand why they would stay back at work when they weren’t paid overtime. Now I know, because work needs doing and once you signed the contract saying you’re an idiot you’ve got to unhold your part of the bargin.
The management ethos is becoming so ingrained that I actually feel bad about having a week off (I’m still having the week off, but at least I feel bad) because I know there’s a lot to be done and not many people (oh, okay, there’s no one else - yes I run things single handed, I have the power, I rule the kingdom and all bow down before me) to do it.
So, one more day at work (tomorrow) and then I’ll just have to put it out of my mind and hope that I don’t go back to a smoking crater a week later.

4 comments:

Gopher said...

I'm still at work... yes I have done enough to go home early, but as I work from home anyway it doesn't make a difference whether I'm at the clients office, or on my couch, except I'm enjoying the use of a silent office for once.

Gopher said...

I've been there before. It felt great when I had a better job to go to, but yeah, I wouldn't try it without the job.

paul said...

woh nelly. just remember how it works here: they make the money, you get screwed. you feel guilty because you have a soul, not because you have a job.

paulhd said...

I feel guilty because I'm an idiot.