Thursday, August 24, 2006

Astrodog



Sorry about the ropey scans, had to do these using my digital camera so they're a touch fuzzy (my shaky hands) and the colours aren't quite right. There's another painting in between these but I just couldn't get a decent picture of it - I'll try later.
These are from my attempt at a picture book called 'Astrodog, I mocked up the full thing and did three finished pieces but only sent it to Walker Books (I knew someone there), they liked it, but not enough. I did the decent thing and gave up. Actually I find painting really hard (these are nearly two years old and the last that I've done, I just wasn't happy with the end results - annoyingly I did a couple of paintings a year before, cranked them out and am still far happier with them than my 'proper' attempts!) and writing picture books even harder, I'd love to try again, but not just yet.
As soon as I can muster up a better scan I'll post the middle pic, it's of Astro's space ship coming out the ground from underneath his kennel, very Thunderbirds.

6 comments:

Andrew Glazebrook said...

That pick of the dog looking at the stars reminded me of Gilbert Shelton's 'Wonder Warthog' for a brief moment,only because there's a bit where he's looking at the stars trying to spot which ones his home ! Great piccy's !!

paul said...

i like these a lot! really a lot. the 'picture book zen-like simplicity' is excellent. do i remember reading some of astro before? it rings a bell somewhere...

Danny said...

Yay! Astrodog's back! Looking forward to seeing the third scan

paulhd said...

Mentioned Astrodog a while back on this very blog Paul, but it's more likely from when we worked together (oh so long ago!) Zen like simplicity is the goal, so cheers for the comment.
Don't think I ever read 'Wonder Warthog' Andrew, most remiss of me too, 'Idiots Abroad' is one of the greatest comics ever.
Glad you all like the pix, I'm still not satisfied with them, but I'm really hard pushed to honestly say why, I reckon I'm still just a bit of an idiot when it comes to judging my own work!

Garen said...

I love the little tail bit on his spacesuit. I hope it can wag.

paulhd said...

Funnily enough there's a page of Astro wagging his cute little tail. See, I know what the audience wants.