Monday, June 18, 2007

It's clobberin' time!


Here's another stab at working in colour. Still not that successful, but getting there I think. Blue Eyed Ben looks pretty close to how I saw him in my head, he suffers from a similar 'blandness' to my previous MM pic, but not so much (maybe 'cos he's such a cool looking guy).
The background was drawn seperately and scanned, then I spent a hell of a long time working on it before I realised it was rubbish, it really was far to bland, heavy use of perspective grids and trying to be painterly. So I took the basic elements and just drew 'em quickly and picking angles I thought were fun rather that right. I think I went a little too far with the the 'off' angles but it was an improvement. The colour choices aren't great but I'm happy with the technique. I've always liked big flat colours as well as grainy texture and I tried to combine what I liked about a few favourite illustrators work.
And that's it, hopefully getting better each time.

2 comments:

Andrew Glazebrook said...

Grand stuff again Paul!!

paulhd said...

Thanks Andrew!